NORTH WESTERN PHILLUMENISTS
Maguires in the Liverpool Match Industry
J T Maguire starts work at Martindales in Liverpool
J T Maguire partner in Collard, Kendall & Co, which took over Martindales at this time
|Figure 1 Three brands introduced by Collard's|
Collard, Kendall & Co taken over by the Diamond Match Company of America.
New Diamond factory opens with J T Maguire as manager. The story of this factory is told as
Diamond Match Works Liverpool.
J T Maguire and his four sons – Alexander, David, Richard and Robert leave Diamond Match Co to form Maguire, Miller & Co.
J T Maguire dies soon afterwards.
Speck & Co of Leeds taken over.
Pilot registered as Trade Mark
Factory at Carlton Street
|Figure 2 Four examples of Pilot|
Factory moved to Lightbody Street.
Separate Leeds and Liverpool companies formed.
Company employs 129 workers
Knighthood for Alexander Maguire because of his work on the White Phosphorus Prohibition Act of 1908
Plans for expansion including Canada and Japan; but two brothers die and one retires leaving only Sir Alexander Maguire.
Maguire, Paterson and Palmer formed.
R Bell & Co. founded in 1832 join the company
New Liverpool factory built at Garston by F D Huntingdons
12 February 1923
Maguire, Paterson and Palmer become part of Bryant and May. The story of this factory is detailed as
Bryant and May Mersey Works.
Workman wins the Grand National – owner Sir Alexander Maguire
20 January 1947
Sir Alexander Maguire dies.
Copyright © 2005-08 North Western Phillumenists. All rights reserved. - Page updated: 09/12/08